What We Have Supported
In more than fifty years of commitment to the field, CTFA has assisted theatres, artists, scholars, and organizations in significant activities and studies in ten areas including scholarship, playwriting, theatre festivals, international exchange, research, conferences and symposiums, publications, crisis management assistance and Medallion Awards.
This is an abridged list. Please CLICK the highlighted links to see more current information about our support.
(Photo: Dallas Children’s Theater Academy Class, Improv. Photo by Karen Almond)
- Scholarships: Eight Campton Bell Graduate Scholarships 1962 - 1969; Administrative Grant to initiate Winifred Ward Memorial Scholarship Fund; Ten Percent Endowment Grant of the Winifred Ward Memorial Scholarship
- Playwriting: Initial Grant for The New Generation Play Project which to date has led to the writing/production of eight new plays and their premieres in four major theatres; sustained early support of three of the Waldo M. and Grace C. Bonderman IUPUI National Youth Theatre Playwriting Symposiums in cooperation with the Indiana Repertory Theatre; numerous grants to playwrights; the Aurand Harris Children's Theatre Grants; The CTFA Fellowships for young playwrights selected by the American College Theatre Festival to participate in either Kennedy Center New Visions/New Voices Program or the Waldo M. and Grace C. Bonderman IUPUI National Youth Theatre Playwriting Symposium. Imagination Stage and “Cinderella Eats Beans"; Playwrights in Our Schools 2003, a project of the Playwriting Network of AATE; Art of the Matter Project: Soho Rep’s WASHETERIA (See Slideshow); also see Recent Recipients of Harris Fellowship & Recent Recipients of Founders Grants.
- Theatre Festivals: The Fourth International ASSITEJ Festival, 1972; The 1984 World Festival of Theatre for Young People, New Orleans.
- International Exchange: Numerous grants for American Representation in the formation of ASSITEJ from 1966 - 1977; U.S. Artists Participation in International Symposia, and Festivals in East Berlin, Shodo Island, etc.; Aurand Harris travel to China to stage "Rags To Riches" in Shanghai; John Kauffman to perform in Moscow; Mark Taper Forum Improvisational Theatre Project tour of Russia; Everyman Players to ASSITEJ Festival, Venice Biennale, 1970; Pickwick Players Youth Company of Midland tour to New Zealand Festival; travel subsidies for graduate students, early career professionals, and an Intern Mentor to attend the 15th International ASSIEJ World Congress and Performing Arts Festival, Montreal, Canada, 2005.
- Research: CTAA Creative Drama Symposium and Publication, 1983 - 1985; The Child Drama Archives at Arizona State University; AATE International Center for Studies in Theatre Education, 1991 - 1993; first Research Issues of the Children's Theatre Review, 1981 - 1982; 1983 - 1985 CTAA Creative Drama Symposium; Bibliographic Research Database Covering the Areas of Creative Drama and Theatre for Children and Youth, University of Texas, 1991; Manon van de Water for the development of and translation for publication of a critical anthology of contemporary Dutch plays for young people; etc.
- Crisis Management Assistance: Emergency grants to stabilize former CTAA and SSTA organizations in the collapse of ATA, 1985 - 1987; mailing of Journals; travel of Boards to plan; publication and mailing of Material.
- Medallion Awards: 23 annual celebrations recognizing significant artists, educators, and organizations (See Medallion Award History for list of recipients.)
- Performances & Lectures: Cecily O'Neill of London; Natalia Sats of Moscow; Jonathan Levy; Jean Houston, Metro Theatre Circus; Neil Postman; Margaret Hamilton; William Ball; Jerome Singer; Tomie de Paola; Wendy Kesselman; Choyd Youth Theatre of Wales; preview of The Yellow Boat; Charles Strouse; Aurand Harris; Also see Recipients of Alvin Cohen Memorial Grants for most current information