Founders Fund Projects of Excellence & National Significance for Young People
2018 PROJECT FULFILLMENT
STEP 1: REQUEST TO SUBMIT (RTS) APPLICATION
Deadline: Tuesday, January 16, 2018
The Children’s Theatre Foundation challenges and supports theatre artists to achieve excellence in service to young people.
- Children and Youth
- The Art of Theatre
Because our audiences are primarily made up of young people, school groups and families, CTFA embraces the opportunity to show leadership in dismantling institutional and structural racism.
2018 Founders PROJECT FULFILLMENT Grant (updated July 2017)
CTFA is seeking applications from not-for-profit theatres for theatre projects/productions that focus on dismantling racism. (Logo: webbernaut.com)
The Foundation will support a ground-breaking project that demonstrates diversity, racial equity and inclusion and promotes the involvement of communities that have been historically disadvantaged and socially and politically excluded based on race.
This project must be at a point of culmination where it is ready to be shared with the public through a theatrical production, public display or publication.
WHAT WE FUND
A creative and visionary project that will advance the field of theatre for young audiences and serve as a model to address issues of social justice and inclusion.
A project that goes above and beyond traditional concepts of theatre for young people in terms of:
- Content: subject matter, themes explored, non-traditional characters, etc.
- Methodology: scripted plays, devised works, immersive experiences, etc.
- Community Interaction: partnerships, ancillary events, community engagement.
- Evaluation: concrete ways to measure impact and success.
Production costs including but not limited to script commissions, artist fees, innovative design applications, new uses of technology, partnerships between theatres, schools universities and diverse communities, travel, extraordinary educational or outreach opportunities.
Founders Project Fulfillment Grants may have a changing focus from year to year to reflect priorities deemed by the Foundation to be of crucial importance to children and to the artists serving the field.
WHO MAY APPLY
Not-for-profit theatres in the United States, established for at least five consecutive years, with a public record of artistic quality in creating work for young audiences and a demonstrated commitment to diversity in leadership
- Theatres, not previously known for producing work for young and family audiences, may apply; but the specific project under consideration must serve children, youth, schools, communities and/or families
- Teams formed by theatres, which bring together theatre artists and outside collaborators from a variety of disciplines seeking to explore new approaches to form and content in theatre for young audiences, may also apply through a qualifying theatre.
• One recipient will be selected in 2018.
• Funding amount up to $30,000.
• Grant must be for a culminating public theatrical production, public display, or publication.
• Only one CTFA Grant proposal per year may be submitted by an applicant.
• Previous receipt of a Founders Concept Development Grant is not necessary for consideration for a Project Fulfillment Grant, nor will it affect an applicant’s chances of selection positively or negatively.
• All Founders Project Fulfillment Grant recipients must provide a funding match that is no less than 50% of the grant request.
-Salaries and in-kind services may be counted toward the match but must relate specifically to this project.
• The funding time frame for 2018 Founders Project Fulfillment Grants begins no earlier than September 1, 2018 and is to be completed by August 30, 2020.
• The Grant award will be distributed by CTFA to the recipient in three equal payments.
-Sept. 1, 2018 or thereafter upon receipt of the signed contract.
-Sept. 1, 2019 or at a mid-point of the grant period if the project timeline is less than 2 years.
-At the project’s conclusion and upon receipt of awardee’s final report, no later than Aug. 30, 2020.
• REQUIRED ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: Recipients of any CTFA Grant must include the CTFA logo in all official programs, publications and marketing and the statement: “Funded in part by a Founders Grant from the Children’s Theatre Foundation of America.”
• A CTFA Board Liaison will serve as a resource for the creative team of the funded Founders Project Fulfillment Project.
• If a play script or other tangible creative work is the outcome, in part or whole, of the grant, that work must be made available through publication, production, or public dissemination of results within three years of completion of the grant.
WHAT WE DO NOT FUND
• General operating support for projects that are part of the ongoing work of the applicant that represents business-as-usual.
• Free performances or ticket subsidies for ongoing season offerings.
• Activities undertaken for academic credit.
Founders Project Fulfillment Grants will have a TWO STEP application process
• STEP 1: REQUEST TO SUBMIT (RTS) APPLICATION
-A short application, outlining overall grant project request and information about the applicant. (SEE RTS APPLICATION FORM)
• Deadline REQUEST TO SUBMIT (RTS): Tuesday, January 16, 2018
-NOTE: Applicants please check back to this website BEFORE you submit your 2018 Founders Fulfillment Grant-Request to Submit Application Form. An Electronic Application Form option to SUBMIT THIS APPLICATION on line is being tested and may be adopted for the 2018 application filing. TBA.
• 2018 Criteria for proposal evaluation:
-How does the project address issues of racial equity, diversity and inclusion? (35%)
-How does the project indicate the potential for excellence in theatre artistry? (25%)
-How is this project innovative? (20%)
-How does this project demonstrate national significance and impact upon the field? (20%)
• RTS Applications will be reviewed by the CTFA Founders Project Fulfillment Grants Committee and Finalists will be chosen to proceed to STEP TWO.
• STEP 2: FINAL GRANT APPLICATION
-Finalists will be contacted by February 26, 2018.
-Finalists will be provided with the final Founders Project Fulfillment Grant Application Form.
-Final applications will be due on April 23, 2018.
The Children’s Theatre Foundation of America is committed to the values of diversity, racial equity, and inclusion. The Foundation supports theatre artists and organizations that share the Foundation’s values working to address past and current injustices to groups that have been historically disadvantaged and socially, politically, and economically excluded. MORE…